YEAR: 1983 / Refit 2008
DESIGNER: Ian Howlett 1983
BUILDER: Fairey-Allday Marine 1977 / Victory Team 2008
Victory’83 is an International Twelve Metre Yacht built of aluminum. She was commissioned by Peter deSavary’s British Challenge for the 1983 America’s Cup. She was the second twelve by his campaign and the last conventional twelve built to compete for the Cup. She was built to Lloyd’s Rules and under their construction inspection.
She has been campaigned as a racing twelve her entire career. In 2008, she received a complete refit and modernization to the current Twelve Metre Class Rule.
Victory’83 was completely overhauled during her refit. The hull structure was in very good condition and the refit focused on updating her to the latest equipment and layout. She was painted in her current livery and has been maintained to the highest standards ever since.
In preparation for the 2019 World Season, her bottom was freshly painted and polished, the cockpit layup tweaked to suit the crew requirements and the deck repainted.
Keel and Rudder: Victory’83 has her original keel and trim tab. The hull and keel were faired, painted and fitted with a set of high quality fairing flaps for the tab. The hi-aspect ratio composite rudder was designed with input from CFD consultant Paul Bogataj. It was built by Composite Solutions. The steering system and all bearings were new during the refit.
Deck: A key feature of the 2008 refit was a complete re-configuration of the deck and cockpits to optimize sail and boat handling for the larger crew size permitted in the current Class Rule. The circular vang track was eliminated in favor of a diagonal spectra strop led through a fairlead at the partners and then down to a mast mounted cylinder. This allowed the cockpit to be configured with the pit area as a continuation of the grinder cockpit. The new layout further allowed for a companionway for easy access below deck. Tailer’s pits are watertight with minimum rule height sills for easy access.
Winches: The Victory’83 winch package was custom designed to fully connect the primary and mainsheet drive trains and add a pedestal driven pit halyard winch. This system uses an “X” Box to link the two drive trains. The primaries, main and pit can be driven by any or all of the pedestals.
- Primaries (2): Lewmar 105 Racing winches with carbon skirts – Upwind / downwind range selection
- Mainsheet: Lewmar 105 Racing Winch – carbon skirt and self tailing plates. Upwind / downwind range selection. Top action capable
- Running backstays (2) Lewmar 99 Racing winches – flange mounted, carbon skirt and self tailing plates.
- Pit winch: Lewmar Racing 68 – pedestal driven – over drive boxes fitted
- Topper – second halyard – Lewmar 68
- Foreguy: Lewmar Racing 50
- Spinnaker takedown on pit winch
- Pedestals (3) Belt drive carbon fiber pedestals. X-box allows all pedestals to be linked together to drive either the main, primaries or pit winch or various combinations of winches and pedestals.
- Bevel boxes – hi-strength 17-4 drive shafts have been fitted in each bevel box
Hydraulics: Victory’83 has a full Granprix Navtec Hydraulic package. Navtec hydraulic rams:
- Jib tack
- Genoa leads(P&S)
- Floating main tack
- Push-pull deck level mast ram.
- Navtec pressurized Reservoir
- Fast take up system for pulling the rig forward downwind.
- Five Big bore pumping stations. Main Island has a super big bore AC pump.
- String Release: A number of functions are fitted with string / button releases
Mast and Rigging Package: Sail Spars Designs triple spreader rig with Navtec rigging.
- Minimum Weight and CG under the 12M Rules.
- Maximum stiffness – the stiffest 12M mast built. Cobalt rod headstay and jumpers. Spreader and jumper tips feature special low windage “cigar” fittings.
- Shrouds rollers to ease the big jibs around
- Carbon boom by Composite Engineering – strop mounted vang system.
- Custom “Square” composite spinnaker pole and spare pole. Deck layout allows the spare pole to be carried onboard below deck.
Electronics: A 12V Electrical system is fitted to provide for the instrumentation package, bilge pumps and VHF base station.
- Complete Ockam racing instrumentation system.
- On board computer running Expedition
- Custom 5 display mast pod
- Transducers for speed, depth and wind speed
- GPS, Compass
- Plumbing: Electric bilge pump P&S
- Electrical shore power box / battery charger
- Shore power cable
- Garmin cameras
- VHF base station
- VHF handhelds
- Diverse headstay load pin – integrated into the Ockam system
Tender: Destiny, a 28′ Protector is included with the program. The tender has been updated with new WING tubes. She was repowered with twin Yamaha 200HP Four-stroke engines. She has an updated electronics package including a Garmin Chartplotter, Radar and AIS. She has been stored inside each off season and the engines have received all recommended service at the Yamaha Dealer.
Container: The Package includes a 40′ shipping container that has been outfitted to support the operations of the program. There is ample storage for the sails, rigging, spares and gear. There is a work bench for maintaining Victory’83 and Destiny.